Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Equality of Opportunity

I really enjoyed the two readings for this week.  I thought that they were very eye opening and engaging.  Especially the two video clips.  I was finally able to watch them.  I was shocked at the Ohio woman who was sent to jail because all she wanted was for her children to go to a better school.  I think that it is ridiculous that she was punished for only wanting the best for her kids.  Also, the Oprah video was astonishing.  I have seen it before and it gets me every time.  It's crazy how those two schools that are only like 30 minutes apart are from one extreme to the next.  That just shows just how much funding really makes a difference when talking about equal opportunities.  As much as I hate to say this money really is everything in our society.

The outside article that I found this week was: Equal Opportunity.
I found it very interesting and in the first paragraph it states: "In order to repair this broken system, the United States must confront the fact that inequality continues to plague our public schools." If our government would admit that this is a problem then we can work to start fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment